Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Borghese 10 Piece Brush Set

Hi Hi Hi!!! Im soooo sorry Ive been away for sooooo long!! Finished moving everything into our new place finally!!! Ugh.. what a pain in the butt! But anyways.. Im back! Ive been meaning to do this post for a while since I got these brushes a couple months ago from Costco! Of all places right?! My mom was there while I was doing a prom makeover and called me to see if I wanted them. I never heard of the brand before.. so I said, 'Why not?! For $30, Ill give it a go!' sooo... If you would like to know my thoughts, keep reading!


Description:
10 Piece Brush Set w/ Brush Roll

Price: $30 @ Costco



#204 Angled Eye/Brow Brush
I use this one mainly for the brows using powder. Its very stiff but a little too thick for me to use with a gel or liquid liner.

#202 Angled Eye Contour Brush
This brush is waaay to big for me to use for contouring the eye and its really dense so it packs a little too much color on. However, I think it works well with pigments when you just want a dab of color.

#203 Domed Smudge Brush
Again, a little too large as a smudge brush, but very dense. If it were more like a pencil brush, I could definetly use this. Other than that, I hardly ever use this brush.

#101 Angled Contour Brush
This is very very similar to the Sigma contour brush. Its almost identical, accept this one is a bit larger and has more bristles. After cleaning it a few times, it starts to fan outwards so you really need to shape this brush after cleaning so it doesnt loose shape.

#104 Rounded Foundation Brush
My favorite brush out of the entire bunch! Ive never used a brush like this to apply foundation before, but it is amazing!! Wow.. When I first saw it I thought.. 'What the heck am I gonna do with this brush?!' But its really great for getting into the nooks and crannys, especially around the nose area. It also gives foundation a nice smooth and even finish!

#102 Duo-Fiber Blending Brush
Its a smaller sized duo-fiber brush, so I think it works great for adding contour or highlight to the cheekbones. Its pretty dense and not as soft as some other duo-fiber brushes, so you get more color with this brush.

#201 Eyeshadow Brush
Another large brush.. it does work well for adding a wash of color, but its very thick so its a bit hard to place color exactly where you want it.

#105 Concealer Brush
Great concealer brush! It works exactly the same as my Sigma concealer brush, so two thumbs up for this one! Its very dense and has synthetic bristles. Great for blemishes or under the eye area.

#200 Eye Powder Fluff Brush
I love this brush also! Although its a bit large, its very fluffy, so it works great for blending out the crease! I think Ive used this brush every single time Ive done makeup since Ive gotten it =)

#100 Powder Kabuki Brush (not shown in above picture)
Hmm.. its not dense enough to really blend, and it sheds a ton!! I use this mainly just to dab powder around the T-zone, but other than that, Ive found no other great uses for this one =(



Overall Thoughts:
I would rate this brush set 3.5 out of 5 stars. The quality is not the greatest, but for $30, I wouldnt expect anything comparable to MAC or Sigma brushes. However, it did come with a few brushes that are part of my staples now, so Im really glad I decided to get these =)

My Recommendations:
  • Rounded Foundation Brush
  • Duo-Fiber Blending Brush
  • Eye Powder Fluff Brush
  • Concealer Brush
Have you tried these brushes before? Have you heard of this brand?

2 comments:

Vijaya said...

30 bucks isn't bad! Do you know if these are cruelty free?

Janalyn said...

Hi VijiiS! I threw away the box already and didnt check to see if it was labeled cruelty-free, but I read on another bloggers website that it is cruelty-free. However, their brush set was recalled last year for "quality standards", dont know what kind of quality issues they were having, but hopefully since I bought it only a couple of months ago, they have upped the quality on their brushes and are now up to standards =) Hope this helped!